Match Factory Ruins

In the early 1870’s a match factory was founded next to a small river near a large mansion. It burned down in 1918 and the construction of a new factory was started a few years later. In 1925 an accident on the construction site killed the owner of the business and he was the only one to know about the plans of the production process.

The factory eventually started production, but was sold to a Swedish business in 1929, who closed it down. A textile company occupied the premises between 1935 and 1940, and after the winter war carpets and wool were manufactured there. Business thrived and the complex was enlarged in the 1950’s.

The factory last served as a carpenter’s workshop, but was abandoned for several years. In the early 2000’s a construction company decided to convert it into expensive loft apartments. The company went bankrupt.

Another company took over the project, but was declared bankrupt in 2008. Next, four families took over the construction project. By then the property had suffered two large fires.

The project seemed to advance until they made more detailed research about the soil on the lot. Years of industrial activity had contaminated it very badly, and a very expensive and exhausting change of soil would need to be conducted before anybody could live on the lot. The project was cancelled and yet another fire gutted the factory.

And this is when I arrive on the scene.

The evening was perfectly nice and calm. The neighbour had an aggressive dog, which started barking when I crossed the river. I didn’t care about it and the dog soon stopped.

The yard of the factory was extremely overgrown, but the path in the tall grass indicated that the place was frequently visited.

A first look inside reveals, that the building was just a shell. There was no floor and the roof had chunks of it missing.

Although the building was accessible, it looked so unstable that I decided against entering.

The rooms were pretty large and all there was to see could be seen without taking the risk of being burried by collapsing walls and roof.

In some sections there was no roof.

Actually most of the roof seemed to be missing. There were also areas, where the building wasn’t accessible because of trees.

Another room.

If I would have to guess, I would name this part of the building as the extension from the 1950’s.

The place was all open doors, but I still decided against entering. You can soon see why.

Another part of the building, which looks like a later addition.

It looks like the windows had been covered at some point. Someone had attempted to keep the weather away, but hadn’t been very successful.

Another look inside, which also reveals the reason why I chose not to enter. I’ve never seen a location, where chunks of concrete are missing from the roof. I really don’t want a piece of it falling on my head.

In this part of the building there was also a lot of debris outside the walls.

Another look inside with the holes in the roof clearly visible.

The view from another window reveals yet more damage to the roof.

A final view inside. From this point of view it looks like the second floor has been added later, or then some renovations strenghtening it have been conducted.

One more view from the courtyard.

This board forbidding entry has been placed at the end of the driveway leading to the factory. Somehow I was illiterate this time.

Through my work I know a professional photographer, who actually contacted the owner to ask for permission to film in this location. The answer was a strict no and the owner told, that the neighbour guards the place and has a vicious dog, so better not enter.

Well, I did.

Published by desertedfinland

A Finnish Urban explorer & Photographer

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: